Controling my tounge...

Have you ever been in a situation where you have blurted something out before you had time to think about it or reacted hastily to a situation but regretted your actions only moments later? I'm sure if being honest, we have all been there done that at one time of another in our lives.

For years I used to go around, proud as a peacock , boosting about how wonderfully bold I was. How I spoke what was on my mind and heart and even went s far as to say, It was a gift from God, a gift of Holy boldness but I can't tell you just how wrong I had it. I do indeed have a boldness stored in me and although, I still believe it's a gift from God, what I know now, is that gift is best when completely governed by the Holy Spirit. What I've learned, still learning is that leaving self out of the equation, works! The boldness the Lord has placed in me, was never for me in the first place but to be able to go out and share His goodness,  love, and mercy to the hurting and dark world and I can't begin to tell you what a humbling revelation that has been for me. Simply put, my feathers where plucked!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are still times where I personally would like to give a good tongue lashing,  a normal reaction to the flesh, when hurt or angered, especially if it involves hurting my children, but is it worth it? I suppose if your in need of self satisfaction but right now in my life, I just want God and I find myself, burying myself in His arms for peace , comfort, rest and most of all to help control my tongue, lol, when those moments occur.

Reading James 3 this morning was such a profound reminder:

Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.
When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

What stood out for me was James saying, that our tongues are mighty rudders, guiding the body where it will go. We should be very careful of the words that come out of our mouths. We can do the greatest good, and the most terrible evil, by the use of our mouths. Christians should let the truth and grace of Christ govern their language. Otherwise, terrible problems can occur. Let our words reflect our commitment to Christ, and God will bless us and defend us.

Lord I am indeed committed! I will do a better job and showing that fact daily.

Psalm 34:13
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

No comments:

Post a Comment